taken by Jennifer Mann, January 13, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.
Attendance: Amanda Hill, Kristin Johansson, Elizabeth Janik, Jenn Mann, Sarah Hulcher, Ann Hupp, Stuart White, Ilse Levy, Barb Frith, Lisa Cohn, Joanna Felts, Jennifer Cunningham, Julie Walsh, Bug Gallagher and Dionne Crisco.
Welcome and minutes approval – Amanda Hill called the meeting to order at 9:30 a.m. with introductions of those in attendance. Kristin Johansson moved that the minutes from the December 2, 2013 meeting be approved. Ilse Levy seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as written.
Treasurer’s Report –Kristin submitted a copy of the treasurer’s report for review (see attached).
• The report showed the expenses for the month including reading materials Mrs. Mayer, the Book Fair, Virginia Opera visit and the upcoming author visit. The income included the Book Fair and box tops. There has been at $5,000 grant donated in honor of the Arbuckle family towards the playground fund which has been added to the money market account.
President’s Report –
• Amanda Hill reminded everyone of the Parent’s Night Out at O’Connor Brewery on January 14th at 7:00p.m. She encouraged families to attend and ,if they would like to, bring an appetizer or dessert to share
• The Nominating Committee for2014-2015 was proposed as comprising of Julie Walsh, Nancy Silva, Jenn Cunningham, Ken Needham and Stacy DellaVilla. Bug Gallagher moved that we confirm the Nominating Committee as it stands and Kristin Johansson seconded that motion. The Nominating Committee will move forward to seek volunteers for the open board and committee positions for 2014-2015.
• The Camp Expo will be held on February 11, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. Bug volunteered to assist Amanda with a brochure of the camps attending. Please notify Amanda if there is a camp you would like included or if you can assist her with marketing the event.
• Publishing House does not currently have a volunteer (s) to lead it this year. We will reevaluate the program to see how it can best serve the students and fit into the school day.
• Council PTA meeting was rescheduled due to a School Board meeting. Please see the website to live stream the meeting which will discuss the consulting summary and redistricting plans.
• A donation of a $5,000 grand was made to the Playground Committee from a law firm in Kentucky in honor of the Arbuckle family. A meeting to discuss ideas for the playground will be held immediately following this meeting at 10:30a.m.
• Ms. Crisco reported on behalf of Mr. Fifer that painters have been requested to paint the sidewalk and street to clearly mark the carpool lanes.
• Mrs. White offered the staff’s appreciation for the holiday cookies and especially for the successful book fair. They were able to distribute vouchers to students in need to purchase books and supplies.
• Mrs. Stava will be transferring to Coleman Place Elementary as a media specialist and we wish her the best. We welcome Ms. Guynn to the 2nd grade classroom.
• Kindergarten Open House will be Friday, January 17th at 9:30a.m. Please contact Liz Philpott if you can volunteer your time to welcome families and give tours. There will be a sign up sheet from the Hospitality Committee online if you can volunteer to bring baked goods.
• Math and Science Night will be Thursday, January 23rd at 6:30p.m. Mrs. Baucom has activities planned. Please sign up by Jan. 21st if you would like to order pizza for 6:00p.m. that evening.
• Sarah Hulcher reminded us that the PTA Legislative Day is Monday, January 27th at the VA General Assembly in Richmond. There will be training the Sunday before to prepare to speak with legislators. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
• Lisa Cohn has organized the upcoming author visit by David Schwartz on Wednesday, January 14, 2014. There will be a flyer sent home following his visit in order for families to purchase any of his books.
• Virginia Van Horn will be the artist in residence coming in April. She is a contemporary sculptor who creates animal imagery out of organic material such at sticks. Her creations often come from children’s literature. She is requesting that we collect smooth twigs to be used when the students work with her in late April.
Fine Arts Night
• Michelle Pressley continues to work with Peggy Powers on Fine Arts Night for March 20, 2014. It will focus on the student’s artwork.
• The next printed newsletter will go out in the Thursday folders. Please continue to email her weekly enews submissions by Sunday to Bug_Gallagher@yahoo.com.
• Julie Walsh submitted a report (see attached) which highlights the success of the Book Fair this year. The total sales was over $17, 000 which was an increase from last year. The PTA receives 25% of the total in cash which is $4,256. Mrs. Gortz’s first grade class won the “Oasis” party by collecting the most money for All For Books. They celebrated by wrapping Mr. Fifer up like a mummy and with a treat from Kona Ice. Julie thanked the many volunteers who helped the Book Fair run smoothly.
After School Clubs
• Channing Guvernator is still looking for volunteers to host a club in February. The forms will go home in the Thursday folders and will be accepted until the clubs are filled.
• Ellen Chamberlain submitted a report stating that we made $12 from the Botanical Gardens night in December. The Moe’s night in October raised almost $500. We have not received the money raised from Norfolk Ice Cream for November. They are now closed and plan to reopen in March. Ellen will follow up with them.
• There are no restaurant nights in January with the Parent’s PTA Night Out occurring this week. Fellini’s will be the restaurant for February.
• There are two upcoming work days: this Friday, January 17th and Saturday, February 22nd. They’re coordinating with teachers to have the garden planted by mid-March with spring peas, potatoes, lettuce, spinach, kale, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli. They will follow up a little later in the spring with sunflowers, nasturtium, zinnias, and marigolds. They’re reestablishing the butterfly, senses, and 1st grade perennial beds as well.
• The committee will meet at 1:00p.m. to plan the activities for the April 26th event.
The meeting was adjourned by Amanda Hill at 10:25 a.m.
The next meeting will be held on February 3, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. in the media center.