Larchmont Elementary School PTA Meeting Minutes
October, 6, 2014
Attendance: Bug Gallagher, Raa’yah King, Carrie Short, Elizabeth Janik, Kristin Johansson, Jenn Mann, Dennis Fifer, Dionne Crisco, Stuart White, Michele DeVito, Allison Arbuckle, Julie Walsh, Jill Pollard, Audra Hansen, Barbara Gonzalez, Nicole Norris, Ann Hupp, Michelle Zimmerman, Soad Ibrahim, Jamie Hicks, Jennifer Moody, Vicky Greco, Sarah Hulcher, Mitch Grant, Vance Flanigan, Naoko Inada, Lisa Cohn, Heather Howard, Jennifer Graham, Jackie French, Heather Fojt, Limei Sun, Barb Frith, Jennifer Miller, Lauren Tremper, Kevin Tremper, Gigi Carroll and Lesley Taylor.
- The meeting was called to order by Bug Gallagher, PTA President, at 9:31 a.m. in the teachers’ cafe.
- The above members in attendance were welcomed and introduced.
- It was moved by Nicole Norris that the minutes from the August 26th meeting be approved as written. It was seconded by Barbara Gonzalez. Copies of the minutes can be found on the Larchmont PTA website (www.LarchmontPTA.org) and in the media center.
- The Treasurer’s Report was submitted by Kristin Johansson for September. The majority of the cash flow was related to the R.A.T. Race and school supplies. The R.A.T. Race income and expenses are still being finalized. The current numbers show a successful fundraiser with the projected income desired. Please see attached reports for more information.
- The President’s Report was submitted by Bug Gallaher.
- The date of the May 5th, 2015 meeting was changed to 6:30 p.m.
- All evening meetings will be held at the Lambert’s Point Community Center. There will be childcare for current Larchmont (Pre K-5th grade) students at the center featuring different activities with the staff.
- There will be a PTA social at Smartmouth on October 23rd from 6-8p.m. ** (this is an updated date since the meeting due to scheduling conflicts). We need volunteers to bring appetizers to share. A future social is being planned for the Paint Gallery.
- Ms. Artis would like to clarify the volunteer application. Norfolk Public Schools requires those in direct student contact (i.e. tutors) to fill out the volunteer application sent home and pay the fee for a background check. Those having lunch with their child or helping on a field trip need to complete the form, but are not required to pay the additional fee.
- The Teacher’s report was given by Stuart White. She highlighted the United Way campaign and the annual Trike Race fundraiser. Students can bring money in all week to vote for the teacher/ staff they would like to see race a tricycle Friday. 10/10 at 2pm. This year there will be a Parents’ Night Out hosted by the teachers and staff to also raise money for the United Way Campaign. Larchmont students can come for an evening of pizza, popcorn and a movie for $10 (first child) and $8 (additional Larchmont siblings). This is limited to 120 students and forms are due by Friday, October 10th.
- The Fall Harvest is being chaired by Nicole Norris. The event flyer and dinner order forms were sent home in folders. The volunteer link will be sent on the weekly email and posted on the LES PTA website. They are in need of painter’s lights, extension cords and tents. The evening will include optional catering by Mojo Bones, scarecrow decorating contest, face painting and more. .
- The Education Garden is in need of a fall cleanup. Nicole is waiting for input from the teachers to decide how to proceed with plans for the garden.
- Membership VP, Elizabeth Janik, reported that the PTA has 302 family members and 51 staff. The deadline for the directory was 10/1, but members can continue to join throughout the year. If parents are still not receiving emails from the PTA, please let Elizabeth know. She will begin printing membership cards and distributing LES car window clings.
- Jill Pollard is working on the directory to go to the printer later this month or early November.
- The Run At Twilight (R.A.T.) Committee submitted a report read by Jenn Mann. They thanked all who helped make it possible. The “glows” were packet pickup, online registration, wave starts for the one mile, 94.9 The Point, separate pizza lines for sales and runners, increased participants and increased sponsorships. The “grows” included betterclearer advertising for date of event and deadlines for registration, lights needed for the DJ tent, more songs after the race, wave starts with older children first and change online race category to “One mile run/walk”. The financials are still coming in, but the report presented by Kristin shows a significant profit to date.
- Afterschool Clubs is being organized by Vance Flanigan. He reported that clubs begin this week and those invited to participate have been notified via email.
- Room Parents met with Nancy Silva, Chair, to review the updates to responsibilities this year. The head room parent will need to use a money receipt book for any money collections during the school year. Teacher Appreciation Week has been standardized so that each class has similar participation. Room parents are still needed for the two new teachers starting this week in K and 1st grade.
- Sarah Hulcher reported for Legislative Advocacy.
- She distributed ballots to vote on the two lobbying positions the VA PTA has selected this year (mental health and local revenue for elementary education).
- NPS leadership, school board and Ballard construction company met with the civic league to discuss the new construction of Larchmont. They continue to take feedback and will address the second floor bathrooms and exterior walkways.
- PTA day at the General Assembly will be January 26th. Please mark your calendar.
- Restaurant Nights have kicked off with Sweet Frog and Chick-Fil-A. Please look for upcoming FUNraiser nights.
- Destination Imagination teams are forming now and Barbara Gonzalez explained about the program. They will have a kickoff event on 10/21 for those interested in joining.
- Entries for the Constant Contact weekly email need to be sent to Lesley Taylor by Sunday of each week. The printed newsletter will go to print on 11/14 and submissions are due by 11/5.
- The principal’s report was given by Mr. Fifer. He reported that due to large class sizes they will add and additional Kindergarten class and 1st grade class.
- Reflections entries are due 10/24
- In New Business, It was suggested by Bug that in response to the death of a former PTA president’s husband, Dave Parker, the PTA donate $100 to the National Epilespy Foundation at the family’s request. Kristin Johansson moved that we donate the money in his memory and Mr. King seconded the motion. It was passed as stated.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:57 a.m
Next Meeting: Monday, November 3rd ,6:30 p.m. at the Lambert’s Point Community Center
(1251 W. 42nd Street)
Submitted by Jennifer Mann, Larchmont PTA Recording Secretary