Larchmont Elementary School PTA Meeting Minutes
November 3, 2014
Attendance: Bug Gallagher, Raa’yah King, Carrie Short, Kristin Johansson, Jenn Mann, Dionne Crisco, Michele DeVito, Allison Arbuckle, Julie Walsh, Nicole Norris, Sarah Hulcher, Lesley Taylor, Amy Gilmore, Kristen Lassalle, Cathy Gargano, Angela Domingos, Chelsey Hundley and Kendall Hundley.
- The meeting was called to order by Bug Gallagher, PTA President, at 6:30 p.m. at Lambert’s Point Community Center meeting space.
- The above members in attendance were welcomed and introduced.
- It was moved by Raa’yah King that the minutes from the October 6th meeting be approved as written. It was seconded by Allison Arbuckle. Copies of the minutes can be found on the Larchmont PTA website (www.LarchmontPTA.org) and in the PTA Binder in the media center.
- The Treasurer’s Report was submitted by Kristin Johansson for October.
- The income and expenses are still being tallied for the Fall Festival. So far, the event was about $500 over budget for this year with receipts still being turned in.
- The R.A.T. Race final income was $15, 862.16 for this year. This is an increase from the previous year’s event.
- Kristin explained the different categories in the budget relating to our excess funds that we use to cover our expenses each summer and we prepare for back to school and the R.A.T. Race. The money donated for the playground fund has been placed in the money market account while the discussions about a new building continue.
- The President’s Report was submitted by Bug Gallaher.
- The PTA Nominating Committee will begin to form for the 2015-2016 school year. The Executive Board positions becoming available are Treasurer, Recording Secretary and 2nd VP Membership. Please let Bug know if you will not be returning to chair your committee next year.
- A daytime social is being planned for Tuesday, November 18th. An email will be sent with further details.
- The Camp Expo will be February 24th 2015. Please let Allison Arbuckle (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you have any camps you would like to see included.
- The Principal’s report was given by Dionne Crisco, Assistant Principal. She asked that when parents would like to meet with them, that they make an appointment. This allows adequate time to discuss concerns while not taking away from classroom observation times.
- No Teacher’s report submitted.
- The Membership report was submitted by Elizabeth Janik via email, stating, “We submitted our dues for 388 members last week. We will be announcing the winners of the drawing for Cheesecake Factory gift cards this week. Let’s make any new or renewing members who sign up in November eligible for the drawing.”
- The Fall Harvest was held last Thursday and was a big success. Nicole Norris reported that they added new games this year including pumpkin bowling and pumpkin slingshot. Unfortunately, the volunteer response was less than needed to run the event and some volunteers worked the entire time. There was discussion about whether the event still had enough interest to continue and how to encourage more help from families and staff. Nicole will continue to evaluate the successes and lessons from this year’s event.
- After School Clubs have just finished their first session on the school year led by Vance Flannigan. There were 104 students in 6 clubs. The next session will be February 3rd -26th
- The PTA Book Fair will be December 2nd-10th. Amy Gilmore and Julie Walsh reported that they have begun to recruit volunteers for the event. There will be a decoration making party on 11/13 from 1p-3p to create decorations for this year’s theme.
- Lesley Taylor reported that the printed newsletter’s deadline is Wednesday 11/5. Please have your submissions to Leslie by then so the newsletter can be printed and sent home next week.
- Destination Imagination’s report was submitted via email by Barbara Gonzalez. She stated “On Oct. 21st, fifty students and parents gathered in the Media Center to kick off the 2014/2015 DI season. This year, we have six DI teams! This is the largest number of teams in Larchmont’s history! Special thanks to our 3 returning team managers as well as the parents who volunteered to manage 3 new teams! Currently, the only three schools in Norfolk enrolled in the DI program are: Larchmont Elementary, Norfolk Collegiate and Norfolk Academy. As always, thanks to the PTA leadership for supporting a commitment to a global STEM program encouraging innovation and creativity. Our students really do deserve it!”
- Legislative Advocacy was reported by Sarah Hulcher. PTA day at the General Assembly in January 25th. Please let Sarah know if you are interested in attending.
- Restaurant Nights – no report
- Reflections committee members Kristen Lassalle and Cathy Gargano reported that over 100 entries were turned in this year. The selections have been sent to the judges and they expect winners to be announced by November 17th.
- Cultural Arts committee was reported on by Michele DeVito. They are talking with Mrs. Outcalt about whether she would like an artist in residence to visit. Mrs. Green is scheduling her programs including for African American History Month. Author, Allen Katz, will visit in February to share his books.
- New Business: Please see the attached proposals for a Poster Maker System and 4 Digital Cameras. Bug and Kristin met with Mr. Fifer to review the PTA budget and ask where he would like to see the money spent. Mrs. Clark put together two proposals for items that would be used school wide to enhance learning. The purchases would come from the new instructional resources item of the Teachers and Instruction section of the budget. A motion to approve the proposals as written and to increase the line item from $2500 to $6900 was proposed by Michele DeVito. Nancy Silva seconded the motion and it was approved by unanimous vote.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m. by Bug Gallagher.
Next Meeting: Monday, December 1st at 9:30 a.m. in the teacher’s café at Larchmont
Submitted by Jennifer Mann, Larchmont PTA Recording Secretary