Larchmont Elementary School PTA Meeting Minutes
taken by Jennifer Mann, November 4, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.
at The Lambert’s Point Community Center
Attendance: Amanda Hill, Kristin Johansson, Elizabeth Janik, Jenn Mann, Janelle Hamilton, Raayah King, Vicky Greco, Julie Walsh, Shelia Artis, Dionne Crisco, Sarah Hulcher, Joanna Felts, Ann Hupp, Nancy Silva, Stuart White, Adrena Harris, Amy Gilmore, Kevin Tremper, Huang Do, Kristen LaSalle and Bug Gallagher.
Welcome and minutes approval – Amanda Hill called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Bug Gallagher moved that the minutes from the 10/7/13 meeting be approved. Kristin Johansson seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as written.
Treasurer’s Report –Kristen submitted a copy of the treasurer’s report for review (see attached).
- ·In addition to the standard report, Kristin itemized the income and expense for October to reflect the individual amounts for each category.
President’s Report –
- ·Amanda Hill announced that we are looking for members to form the 2014-2015 Nominating Committee for PTA officers. Please let her know if you are interested
- ·A Leopard Costume was purchased by the PTA for school spirit at events.
- ·Amanda asked if the PTA would be interested in another parent night out in January. After a discussion, it was decided that Erika Haws will move forward with looking for a location and date for another PTA social.
- ·A camp expo will be held for the first time on February 11, 2014. Please submit ideas to Amanda so she can contact camps to invite them to participate.
Teacher’s Report – Mrs. White expressed the teacher’s appreciation for the Fall Harvest Hoedown.
Membership & Directory
- ·Elizabeth Janik reported that dues for 420 PTA members were submitted to the state last month.
- ·Meg Fraim has finished formatting the directory and will send it to print after a final review.
Fall Harvest Festival
- ·Janelle Hamilton reported that the Fall Harvest Hoedown was a success. She will update the committee binder with the information from this year and suggestions for next year.
After school Clubs
- ·Channing Guvernator submitted her summary: “One hundred twenty-two students participated in one of the eight clubs offered in the fall 2013 session of PTA Clubs. Thanks to everyone who helped make our clubs successful by volunteering especially, Katherine Mille, Bug Gallagher, Brittany Goode, Randi Chew, Brett Bebber, Tracey Beers, Liz Philpott, Adrena Harris and Dani Price. Our next session of PTA clubs will be in February 2014.
- ·Please submit any ideas you may have and if you would like to host a club, the PTA hopes to offer some clubs at the Lambert’s Point Community Center next time.
- ·Amy Gilmore and Julie Walsh reported that the “Reading Oasis” themed book fair is only 4 weeks away. The online volunteer link was sent through the weekly PTA email on Monday. The flyer for marketing and volunteer sign-up will go home in the Thursday folders.
- ·In honor of the 100th year celebration, the committee would like to offer reusable totes for families who spend $100 and they could also be sold.
- ·There will be an “All for Books” coin collection contest between the classrooms. The winning class will receive a party. The money collected will be for the teachers to use for books in their classrooms and for vouchers for students who may need assistance.
Reporter / Constant Contact
- ·Bug Gallagher shared her appreciation for submissions to the weekly email to be to her no later than Sunday each week
- ·The next printed newsletter will be in January.
- ·Last week was the Moe’s FuNdraiser which was well attended.
- ·Vicky Greco reported that the Destination Imagination Season Kick Off is Thursday, November 7th from 6:30 -7:30 pm in the LES Media Center.
- ·Sarah Hulcher announced that the PTA Legislative Day is 1/27/14 at the VA General Assembly in Richmond. There will be training the Sunday before to prepare to speak with legislators. This is a budget year and it is expected that NPS will have a $7.7 million shortfall.
- ·There is a preliminary NPS budget meeting Wednesday, Nov. 6th at Ruffner Academy at 7:00p.m.
- ·Entries were submitted last month and judges are currently evaluating the entries.
- ·Lisa Cohn submitted the attached summary of the upcoming author visit by David Schwartz on Wednesday, January 14, 2014.
- ·The PTA purchased a library set of all the author’s books that the students can check out.
- ·Patrick McCarty, a Larchmont parent, has investigated the idea of a playground for the 3rd-5th graders. The current playground is only for the lower grades. He has met with the city who states that if the PTA purchased a playground, they would agree to move it if/when the school is renovated or rebuilt. A new playground would cost $20-$30 million and would have to be through a city approved vendor. It was suggested by Amanda Hill to research any applicable grants that could help to fund this project. The PTA currently has $10,000 in a savings account which could be applied to a project. If you are interested in helping Patrick to research grants and different options, please email him at: email@example.com .
The meeting was adjourned by Amanda Hill at 7:15 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on December 2nd at 9:30 a.m. in the teacher’s lunch room.