Larchmont Elementary School PTA Meeting Minutes
taken by Jennifer Mann, December 2, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.
Attendance: Amanda Hill, Kristin Johansson, Elizabeth Janik, Jenn Mann, Vicky Greco, Sarah Hulcher, Ann Hupp, Stuart White, Ilse Levy, Barb Frith, Naoko Inada, Kris Stelzig, Lisa McCarty, Emily Bebber, Jill Pollard, Lisa Cohn, Liz Philpott and Dennis Fifer.
Welcome and minutes approval – Amanda Hill called the meeting to order at 9:30 a.m. Kristin Johansson moved that the minutes from the 11/4/13 meeting be approved. Sarah Hulcher seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as written.
Treasurer’s Report –Kristen submitted a copy of the treasurer’s report for review (see attached).
- The report show at net profit from the RAT race of $15, 261.44 and from the Fall Harvest Party a net of $109.92. The expenses this month included field trip assistance and reimbursements.
President’s Report –
- Amanda Hill reminded everyone that we need 5 volunteers to be on the PTA nominating committee for the 2014-2015 school year. The job of the committee is to meet in Feb. and in Mar. to fill the open committee and board positions. The PTA election is in April for oncoming members. Please let her know if you plan to keep your current position or if that position will be available for the next school year.
- Math and Science Night will be January 23rd at 6pm. Mrs. Baucom organizes the event and the PTA will assist with presenters, if needed.
- The next PTA social will be January 14th at O’Conner Brewery starting at 7pm. Please bring an appetizer to share and a friend.
- Jennifer Cunningham is sending out an email to room parents to remember classroom etiquette during the holiday class parties. This includes being fair and respectful of students and maintaining professional boundaries while volunteering.
- The staff is meeting in order to standardize the grading scores per grade level.
- Mrs. White has emailed teacher’s who have line items in the PTA budget to ensure that they can utilize the funds needed. She will talk with Mrs. Baucom to see if they need the PTA to assist with presenters for the Math and Science night in January.
- Julie Walsh, Amy Gilmore and volunteers are setting up the Book Fair which will run from Dec. 3rd through Dec. 10th.
- The Bingo and Book Fair night is this Thursday, Dec. 5th from 6:30-8pm. Pre-ordered pizza will be served at 6pm, followed by Bingo with all the proceeds to go to Relay for Life. Each PTA member will receive one free Bingo card per membership.
Fine Arts Night
- Michelle Vonkriesen submitted a report stating, “Peggy Powers and I have been meeting and developing a plan for the Fine Arts Night in March. We decided on an intimate evening focusing on our LES student’s art work and music, as opposed to a night of marketing various fine arts organizations in our community. We are going to have a school wide art exhibit with steel drum accompaniment along with a plug for the featured visiting artist. We wanted to have the night align with the artist, but her work needs to be done outside and the weather in March is unpredictable, so Peggy is moving her to April. We thought that we can still promote her exciting arrival with a “Coming Soon to LES” with some of her work displayed during the art show….”
Membership & Directory
- Elizabeth Janik reported that we have 447 members including all the staff.
- The directories were distributed and we thank Meg Fraim for all her hard work in putting it together.
Reporter / Constant Contact
- The next printed newsletter will be in January, please have submissions to Bug_Gallagher@yahoo.com by 1/8.
- Lisa McCarty and her husband, Patrick, have formed a group to investigate the fundraising and logistics of the PTA buying an additional playground for our school to serve the upper grades of 3rd to 5th. The PTA website has more information at www.larchmontpta.org
- Patrick has meet with the head of Parks and Recreation for the City and they do not currently have a plan to add another playground with the thought that the school is in need of renovation or rebuilding in the near future. The PTA has $10,000 in savings to put toward a project such as this, but would need to fundraise (through gifting or grants) an additional $10-20,000 for the project.
- There will be a meeting for those interested in helping to research the project on January 13th at 10:30 following the PTA meeting.
- Amanda Hill and Janelle Hamilton have put together flyers and invitations to distribute to local camps to attend our Camp Expo on February 11th. There will be a $50 fee for all participants and those nonprofits participating, we are encouraging a scholarship donation.
- Sarah Hulcher announced that the PTA Legislative Day is 1/27/14 at the VA General Assembly in Richmond. There will be training the Sunday before to prepare to speak with legislators. Please email email@example.com to sign up before January 6th.
- Lisa Cohn has organized the upcoming author visit by David Schwartz on Wednesday, January 14, 2014.
- There will be a flyer send home following his visit in order for families to purchase any of his books.
- Barbara Gonzalez submitted a report, “At our DI kickoff meeting, we had over 50 students and parents in the LES library. This year, we have 4 teams: a 5th grade girl’s, 4th/5th grade boy’s, 3rd/4th grade girl’s and a 3rd grade boy’s team. We could have easily added 2 more teams but, unfortunately, we did not have the parent volunteers to make the teams happen. Teams must have a Team Manager to compete in DI. Special thanks to our Parent Volunteers / Team Managers: Jonathan Leib, Elizabeth and Marcus Janik, Shana Pribesh and Kathleen Miller. Most of these teams are meeting at Larchmont to have their meetings. The teams will be working hard to compete in the Regional Tournament to be held on Saturday, Feb. 22nd. As soon as their team names and challenges are chosen, I will send a report to the PTA. As always, our sincere thanks to the PA and the school for all the wonderful support.”
The meeting was adjourned by Amanda Hill at 10:20 a.m.
The next meeting will be held on January 13th at 9:30 a.m. in the teacher lunch room.
*PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A CHANGE ON THE CALENDAR DUE TO A CONFLICT WITH THE COUNCIL PTA MEETING WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD