taken by Jennifer Mann, April 7, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.
Attendance: Amanda Hill, Kristin Johansson, Jenn Mann, Elizabeth Janik, Bug Gallagher, Liz Philpott, Stuart White, Dennis Fifer, Barbara Gonzalez, Barb Frith, Rachelle Pierce, Sarah Hulcher, Lesley Taylor, Lisa Cohn, Dani Price, Naoko Inada, Nicole Norris, Vicky Greco and Jennifer Cunningham.
Welcome and minutes approval – Amanda Hill called the meeting to order at 9:31 a.m. Kristin Johansson moved that the minutes from the February 3, 2014 meeting be approved. Bug Gallagher seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as written.
- Mr. Fifer said that he is expecting news about the potential of a new building soon.
- Mrs. White offered her appreciation for the continued support of the PTA.
PTA President’s Report
- Amanda Hill reported that the Nominating Committee presented the proposed slate of new officers in March on the weekly email and posted in the main office. They will be voted on April 24th in between the honor roll assemblies.
- President: Bug Gallagher
- Treasurer: Kristin Johansson
- 1st VP for Volunteers: Raa’Yah King
- 1st VP for Volunteer Communications: Carrie Short
- 2nd VP Membership: Elizabeth Janik
- Recording Secretary: Jennifer Mann
- Corresponding Secretary: Dani Price
- Teacher Appreciation Week May 5th-9th: The PTA hosts a breakfast on Monday and Lunch on Friday. The Hospitality Committee will be looking for volunteers. Mr. Fifer is hosting a lunch Wed. and Mrs. Kimball is hosting dessert on Thursday. The PTA will raffle two names each day that week on WLES to receive a $20 gift card.
- New Board / Old Board Meeting: June 9th at 6:30. Looking for a volunteer to host.
- Artist Visit: Please bring any twigs and/or sticks to the fence near WHRO in the Ed Garden to be used in a sculpture after Spring Break.
- Please use the yellow visitor’s stickers in addition to your PTA volunteer nametag when entering the school.
- Kristin submitted a copy of the treasurer’s report for review as well as the proposed Budget for 2014-2015(see attached).
- Please review the proposed budget which will be voted on during our next meeting.
- The PTA Board proposed that the membership dues change to $7/member or 2 members for $12. Each additional member would be $5. Bug moved to change the dues and Dani seconded the motion.
Fine Arts Night
- Fine Arts Night was held on March 20th with a presentation by the steel drums and artwork by each student displayed throughout the school. Participants in the Reflections contest were also displayed.
- Bug reported that the Carnival preparation is going well. The volunteer link is live on the website (www.LarchmontCarnival.com) for families to sign up to help. The theme of Past, Present and Future is throughout the activities. A Centennial celebration is planned for 10a at the opening of the Carnival.
PTA Reporter / Constant Contact
- Submit any notices to Bug by Sunday.
- On April 19th is a garden work day from 9a-noon. Nicole Norris will be the new Committee Chair and still needs volunteers for the committee.
- Sarah Hulcher reported about the flyer circulating the neighborhood from preservationists who seek to renovate Larchmont’s building in an effort to save the architecture. The announcement about plans for the school seems imminent and the PTA plans to gather feedback about the priorities of a new building. Sarah will develop a survey to pose to our membership.
- Green Apple Day: This is an initiative to set aside a day to bring the community together to support a project in the school. Once there is a better idea of the building plans, we will proceed.
- See report above in PTA president’s report about Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Barbara reported that they travelled to Harrisonburg, VA for the state tournament this past weekend. The teams enjoyed their experience there and won 8th and 9th place.
The meeting was adjourned by Amanda Hill at 10:31 a.m.
The next meeting will be held on May 5, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.