Larchmont Elementary School PTA Meeting Minutes
Attendance: Bug Gallagher, Raa’yah King, Carrie Short, Elizabeth Janik, Jenn Mann, Dennis Fifer, Dionne Crisco, Stuart White, Michele DeVito, Allison Arbuckle, Jessica Chesson, Julie Walsh, Jill Pollard, Audra Hansen, Barbara Gonzalez, Nicole Norris, Katie Beasley and Jennifer Bruzzi.
Welcome and introductions – The meeting was called to order by Bug Gallagher, PTA President, at 6:37 p.m. in her home. The above members in attendance introduced themselves and their committee.
RAT (Run At Twilight) Race – Friday, September 19th
- Logistics – Jessica Chesson reported, as the chair, that the race with be at 5:45 pm for the 1 mile and 6:30 for the 5K. J&A racing will do the timing and have been supportive in logistics management. Packet pickup will be Thursday and Friday leading up to the race. Volunteers can sign up online through the SignUp Genius link on the www.LarchmontRATRace.com website. There will be corrals for different age groups at the start of the race to reduce safetly concerns with the race start.
- Sponsorships- They are on target thanks to Katie Beasley for her efforts at contacting businesses. We have $5,300 including 94.9 The Point with emcee, Mary Catherine “Woo-Woo”, our own Larchmont Leopard Alumna. J&A racing is donating a reusable finishers banner and many more services from local sponsors.
- Registration – Sign up is online with exceptions for those without computer access. The fee is $20 until 9/12, then $25 until race day when it goes to $30. There is an additional fee for the online. The price overall includes the race, t-shirt, slice of pizza and a drink.
- T-Shirts- The t-shirts will be tie dye with a design entered by one of the students and created by Mark Todd.
- Party- Jenn Mann is chairing the party committee and will coordinate the pizza distribution and sales. We will have face and hair paint, glow items for sale and the Leopard Store will be open for sales.
- There was discussion about purchasing hand held radios to use for the RAT race and other PTA events for communication. Mr. Fifer offered to use the school radios.
- A copy of the budget was emailed to the board and committee members for review. Please contact Kristin if you have questions about your line items.
- Bug presented the yearly audit for review
PTA President’s Report
- The 2014-2015 Calender was emailed to the board and committee members for review
- The next PTA general meeting will be October 6th at 9:30 a.m.
- There will be a PTA social on Friday, September 12th at 9:30 a.m. at Baker’s Crust
- Bug’s goals for this year are to improve upon what we have, grow our events to reach more families and to share with the community with social opportunities. She hopes to partner with the Lambert’s Point Community Center for our evening meetings to offer childcare activities to elementary age children.
- Larchmont received the School of Excellance Award! This was the first year that the National PTA has awarded this distinction to only 180 schools of the 15, 000 that applied. This distinction if for 2 years.
Meet and Greet – Friday, August 29th, 10a
- Volunteers are needed to greet new families at 10a. Committes who will host a table need to set up at 9:30am
- Hospitality – Barb will have cookies for the kids in the cafeteria
- Tables needed:
- oMembership/Directory, RAT Race, Leopard Store (2 tables), Destination Imagination (DI)/ Reflections, Volunteer Sign Ups, After School Clubs and YMCA
Volunteer Needs- Carrie and Mr. King
- In addition to the Meet and Greet, Volunteers are needed the first day to welcome students and help them find their classrooms
- Each committee member needs to update their information on the website. Please email Patrick McCarty at firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Reporter / Constant Contact
- Lesley Taylor (email@example.com) will be sending the Constant Contact emails out on Mondays. Please have anything you would like included by Sunday.
- The printed newsletter will be sent to all students four times a year. There be one in Oct./Nov. and the deadline date will be announced at the next meeting.
- There was discussion about facebook access for committee members. It was decided that Bug should have administrator access in addition to Kerry to update the site with any new news.
- PTA membership was voted last year to reduce to $7 for one membership, 2 for $12 and any additional member $5
- Families can join online on the www.LarchmontPTA.org web and a printed membership form will go home in the student packets the first day of school.
Open House / Back to School Night
- Thursday, Sept. 4th will be the PTA Open House from 6-6:30p.m. followed by Back to School Night when the classrooms open to families at 6:30 p.m.
- Committees will have tables to encourage volunteers and highlight opportunities for families to get involved.
- Please set up at 5:30
- Committees highlighted: Membership/Directory, RAT Race, Leopard Store, DI, After School Clubs
After School Clubs
- Vance Flannigan will recruit parents willing to host after school clubs to run October 6th-31st
School Construction Update
- Elizabeth Janik shared that the updated school construction plans are posted online at www.norfolk.com/PPEA
- Some of the concerns voiced were including the “gymnatorium” use , pedestrian access and number of classrooms. The input from the summer sessions was helpful in having the city rethink the plans. There will be a formal vote by the architectural review board in September. Please continue to follow the website and offer feedback on the survey.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Next Meeting: Monday, October 6th, 9:30 a.m. – Teacher’s Café
Submitted by Jennifer Mann, Larchmont PTA Recording Secretary