Larchmont Elementary School PTA Meeting Minutes
submitted by Jennifer Mann, taken on September 9, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.
Attendance: Amanda Hill, Kristin Johansson, Elizabeth Janik, Liz Philpott, Bug Gallagher, Jenn Mann, Dennis Fifer, Dee Crisco, Stuart White, Jennifer Cunningham, Tiffany Franks, Patty Blaser, Erika Haws, Janelle Hamilton, Brandi Roberts, Amy Gilmore, Kristen Quinn, Raayah King, Matthew Foster, James Harris, Kris Stelzig, Lisa Cohn, Barb Frith, Jennifer Greeley, Stephanie Buus, Ilse Levy, Cherrelle Williams, Charlene Williams, Jennifer Moody, Anne Leigh Bailey, Jeremy Bailey, Meg Fraim, Amy Gortz, Laura Doyle, Lauren Tremper, Christanne Page, Charlsie Wiseman, Allison Arbuckle, John Arbuckle, Carrie Short, Angela Domingos, Sarah Hulcher, Patrick McCarty, Jessica Chesson, Vicky Greco, Gigi Carroll, Katie Beasley, Michelle Pressley, Kristen Lassalle, Jill Pollard and Stephanie Leftwich-Needham
Welcome and minutes approval – Amanda Hill called the meeting to order at 6:30pm. Kristen Johansson moved that the May PTA meeting minutes be approved. Raayah King seconded that motion and with no additional discussion they were voted to be approved. Bug Gallagher moved that the August PTA meeting minutes be approved. Raayah King seconded that motion and with no additional discussion they were voted to be approved.
Treasurer’s Report –Kristen submitted a copy of the treasurer’s report for review (see attached).
- A vote was taken and passed to change the PTA dues from $7.50/person to $7.50 for the first member of household and $5.00 for any additional members.
- The 2013-2014 budget was voted on and passed to increase the leadership training line item 94 to $700 from $380 in order to send 2 officers to training each summer.
- The 2012-2013 audit was submitted then voted on and approved.
- A vote was taken to change the following by-laws and was approved unanimously:
- The 1st Vice President will be the volunteer coordinator (p.11).
- There shall be 5 days notice be needed to call a special PTA meeting (p.14)
- The minimum number of members needed to have a quorum for voting shall be 10
- The fiscal year shall be July 1st to June 30th
President’s Report –
- ·Amanda reported that the Meet and Greet on August 30th went well, thank you to all who participated
- ·If you have not submitted committee descriptions for the website and goals for the year, please do so.
- ·The family survey needed for the School of Excellence seal has questions pertaining to communication with the teachers and school. Amanda will send an e-survey and a paper survey out in October.
- ·The first PTA social of the year is Wednesday, September 11th at Smartmouth Brewery from 7-9pm. Please bring an appetizer to share to encourage new families in our community.
- ·There is a PTA binder placed in the library that contains the previous meeting’s minutes as well as the treasurer’s report.
Principal’s Report – Mr. Fifer welcomed those in attendance.
Teacher’s Report – Mrs. White expressed appreciation from the teachers and staff for the breakfast, $100 gift cards, pencil sharpeners and paper cutters.
Open House – Thursday, September 19th at 6pm
- ·Volunteers are needed to welcome and direct families
- ·Need Welcome sign and signs for table
- ·Setup at 5:00p.m.
- · Tables will be set up for the following committees:
- oMembership / Directory
- oRAT Race/ Volunteers
- oSupply Store
- oLeopard Store (2 tables)
- oDI / Reflections
- oAfter school clubs
- oBox Tops
- oLambert’s Point
Lambert’s Point Community Center
- ·Raquel Gomez, a recreational specialist, brought information about various programs and classes at the Lambert’s Point Community Center. She welcomed the PTA members to come take advantage of the opportunities there.
RAT Race – Friday, September 27th
- ·Jessica Chesson encouraged members to register early for the 1 mile and 5K races. Flyers will be sent home in the Thursday folders with students. She encourages everyone to register online as each paper entry is $3-$4 the PTA pays versus the $1 fee charged online. The sponsorship money is being collected with TGA as a top tier sponsor. The after party is being coordinated by a committee consisting of Vicky Greco, Jenn Mann, Katie Beasley, Ana Theerman and Nikki Cooke.
- ·Volunteers are needed the week of the race and on race day to make it a success. A link will be sent home to sign up online.
ODU Homecoming Parade
- ·Volunteer(s) are needed to organize a float for the parade on 10/5.
Membership & Directory
- ·There is close to 100% staff membership with 48 teacher and staff to date
- ·The general membership has grown by 138 members and Elizabeth Janik continues to enter the paper registrations.
- ·A volunteer is needed to assist with the printing of membership cards, please contact Elizabeth if interested.
- ·A magnet with a sketch of the original Larchmont school will be given to each member family
- ·The paper directory is being developed with announcements for being included in the upcoming PTA reporter. There will be a free business card sized listing available for each member interested.
- A reminder to vote on topics from the State PTA (PLP)
- Stephanie Leftwich-Needham will have a work day scheduled Saturday, September 21st from 9a-12p.
- They need volunteers to help classes with planting. If you’re available to help with your child’s class, please let the committee know. Stephanie is scheduled to be in the garden each Tuesday from 1:30p-3:00p
- Additional help will be need prior to the Fall Harvest Festival
Reporter / Constant Contact
- Bug continues to send out the weekly email to membership
- A printed newsletter will be sent home in the Thursday folder
Fall Harvest Festival
- Kristen Quinn and Janelle Hamilton are planning the Festival for October 25th at 5:30p.m.
- They have found someone to lead a Hoe down and Mrs. Fortier will be teaching square dancing to the kids in October in P.E.
- Volunteers will be needed for setup, stations and clean up
After school Clubs
- ·Volunteers are being solicited for the clubs to begin the first of October.
Box Tops report
- ·Naoko McShane and Luna Magpili submitted a summary of the rewards received last year, they included:
- oBox Tops $1774.70
- oTarget Red Card $608.04
- oHarris Teeter $443.48
- oCampbell labels $12,758 points
- oFarm Fresh $90,681 points
- ·The money and points earned were given to the teachers to decide what educational supplies to order
- ·Relink your cards and collect your labels to be turned in to the box in the lobby
The meeting was adjourned by Amanda Hill at 7:24 p.m.
The next meeting will be held at the school, at 9:30 a.m. on October 7th, 2013.